Monday’s Headlines 01/25/2021 and Crashes Soaring in the Pandemic
- Family and friends gathered for candlelight memorial to honor hit-and-run victim Chris Baker, who was walking at 70th and Federal on January 19 when a driver hit him and fled (Denver7, Fox31)
- ROAD AWAKENING: Crashes and road fatalities soar during pandemic when fewer people are commuting, and car-centric street design that inspires speed is the primary culprit (Aurora Sentinel)
Denver and the Metro Area
- UCHealth planning to vaccinate 10,000 people age 70+ (with appointments) in their cars at Coors Field this weekend — and none of these stories mention people walking, riding bikes, or using transit (Denver Post, CBS4, Denver7, Fox31)
- A history of West Colfax area dirt roads, paving, curbs, and gutters told by 96-year-old westsider Nettie Moore (Denverite)
- The City an County of Denver is working on a pilot program that will bring bus shuttle service to Montbello, and this survey closes on Sunday (English survey and Spanish survey)
- Denver City Council meetings this week: Monday 5:30 p.m. full Council; Tuesday 9:30 a.m. Mayor-Council; Tuesday 10:30 a.m. Land Use, Transportation & Infrastructure Committee; Wednesday 10:30 a.m. Safety, Housing, Education & Homelessness Committee; (Schedule, agendas, and links to watch)
- Polis ‘Extremely Concerned’ By RTD Leader’s Questioning Of Boulder Train (CPR, CBS4, Longmont Times-Call, Colorado Politics)
- The RTD Board of Directors meets tomorrow at 5:30 p.m. (Agenda with dial-in number and briefing from CEO Debra Johnson)
- Boulder Community Editorial Board: Future of transit (Boulder Daily Camera)
- Denver Air Quality Index: 9 a.m.: 66 (Moderate). Yesterday’s max: 61 (Moderate).
- State outlines equitable vaccine distribution plan, including partnerships with RTD and Lyft (about which we’d very much like more information) (9News, CBS4)
- The Colorado Sun has a good primer on the state budget process (Colorado Sun)
- Steamboat Springs summer construction to include sidewalks, street lighting, and a roundabout (Steamboat Pilot & Today)
- New book examines history of trains in Palisade (Grand Junction Daily Sentinel)
- Monday’s Headlines to Get You Going (Streetsblog USA)
- Commentary: Stop Subsidizing Car Ownership (Streetsblog SF)
- Study: Taking An App Taxi More than Doubles Your Roadway Impact (Streetsblog USA)
- New National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Head Was at Center of Pollution Fight (Streetsblog USA)
We’re seeking guest commentaries.
Do you have an idea for a guest commentary? Fill out this form.
We’re a nonprofit and we rely on the donations of our fans and readers. Give $5 per month.