Friday’s Headlines 01/29/2021 and a New Bustang Outrider Ticket App
Denver and the Metro Area
- Column proposes Denver’s current group living restrictions – which limit the number of unrelated people living together and affect people’s access to transit and mobility – are somehow magically free from institutional racism and classism (even though Denver is in the United States), and we’re reminded of the Maya Angelou quote “Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” (Gazette)
- Yet another story about UCHealth and National Jewish each staging appointment-only drive-through COVID-19 vaccine clinics this weekend without any mention of people taking transit, walking, or rolling (Denver Post)
- Denver Air Quality Index: 8 a.m.: 95 (Moderate). Yesterday’s max: 103 (Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups).
- CDOT launches Bustang Outrider ticket app (CBS4, Western Slope Now)
- Polis column: The next chapter in bold climate action… including “the transition to electric vehicles and modernize transportation planning to reduce the number of cars on the road” (Grand Junction Daily Sentinel)
- Fox31 is back with more questionable data analysis of transportation funding (Fox31)
- More on AAA Colorado’s report showing moderate increases in speed can lead to deadly consequences (Denver7)
- Weld County reports 40% drop in fatal crashes due to targeted patrolling on rural roads [no mention of the racial breakdown of ticket recipients] (CBS4)
- Fort Collins: Crosswalk safety discussion returns with elementary students back at school (Coloradoan)
- Steamboat Springs Transit Director Jonathan Flint appointed to the Colorado Transit and Rail Advisory Committee (Steamboat Pilot & Today)
- Salida survey: Residents prefer roundabout and want bike lanes, sidewalks shade trees, and “dark sky” compliant street lighting (Mountain Mail)
- Durango editorial: It’s the right time for the proposed north Main crossing to provide safe passage for pedestrians and bicyclists (Durango Herald)
- Friday’s Headlines to End the Week (Streetsblog USA)
- Talking Headways Podcast: The Magic (Electric) Bus (Streetsblog USA)
- Biden Decries US DOT’s Destruction of Black Communities — But Will His Administration Make Reparations? (Streetsblog USA)
Do you like to write? Would you like to write about a Denver or Colorado mobility issue?
We’re seeking guest commentaries. Tell us your idea for a guest column.
We’re a nonprofit and we rely on the donations of our fans and readers. Give $5 per month.