When this bike lane on Denver’s Marin Luther King Boulevard was installed, some African-American residents in Park Hill raised concerns with Denver Mayor Michael Hancock, who then was a City Councilman. Image: Google Maps.
Thursday, Adonia Lugo, PhD, author of “Bicycle/Race: Transportation, Culture, and Resistance,” will lead a workshop titled “Race, Place, and Open Streets” at the Denver Streets for People Summit from 3:00 – 4:45 p.m. She will also be the event’s featured speaker. (Streetsblog Denver)
- A driver left the scene after hitting and killing a person walking on Friday after Rockies’ opening day. (Fox 31) (Denver Post)
- A person walking on a crosswalk was hit and killed by a drunk motorist early this morning in Aurora. Driver also fled, but has been caught. (Fox 31)
- Two young boys, 11 and 12, were walking on a sidewalk in an Aurora neighborhood on Friday when they were both struck by a driver, who fled. One sustained serious injuries. (Denver 7) (CBS 4)
- New pedestrian bridge is underway to create a safe way for residents of Elyria-Swansea to cross over Union Pacific railroad tracks. Many still wonder if it’s “enough”, as the area lacks other critical pedestrian and bike infrastructure. (Denver 7)
- Colorado’s oil and gas companies have been using an exemption that allows them to pollute for 90 days with no limits on emissions. Welp, sounds like a loophole. Still illegal (maybe?). Just read for yourself: (Denver Post)
- Draft plan revealed for Mile High Stadium District, which will redevelop a sea of parking lots which lie empty majority of the year. (CBS 4)
- More on the newly passed oil and gas bill. (Denver Post) (Westword)
- A little blast from the past on how urban planning, a ballpark, and foot traffic transformed this Denver neighborhood. (9 News)
- Due to Colorado’s spontaneous and fast-changing weather, new legislature may put the traction law in place all winter-season long, instead of just on snowy days. (Colorado Sun)
- Construction starts on CDOT’s final 2013 flood recovery project on Colorado Highway 7, stretching from Lyons to Raymond. (Times Call)
- Denver Air Quality Index: 7 a.m.: 46 Good. Yesterday: 71 Moderate.
- National Headlines at Streetsblog USA.
Get Streetsblog Denver’s daily headlines delivered to your inbox. Sign up for our daily e-mail digest.